- Brain exercises are simple activities that can help reduce stress and improve cognitive and executive functioning.
- Mindfulness mediation and listening to music bring focus towards a specific object or phrase rather than stressful thoughts.
- Learning new words utilizes many parts of the brain and provides benefits like lower stress levels and improved cognitive abilities.
- Learning a new language, similar to learning new words, can help reduce stress.
- Playing games like jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, and cards, can be a great way to bust stress.
- Drawing a map of your neighborhood can help improve creativity, focus, and spatial skills, all while also reducing stress.
- Playing video games can be a great way to kick back and lower stress while enjoying a range of improved cognitive abilities.
Brain exercise or brain training is an activity that helps improve cognitive abilities and relieve stress. Studies have shown that brain exercises can contribute to neuroplasticity, helps reduce stress levels, and improve memory and executive functions.
You must already be familiar with various methods of reducing stress through physical activities, but brain exercises might just be what you are missing. These are simple activities that you can do at any time and place to make your life free of stress and tension.
Another benefit of brain training is that it will greatly impact your life apart from stress reduction. Most of the brain exercises on the list will teach you new things, improve your brain health, help you function better in your day-to-day life, and solve problems more easily.
7 Brain Exercises For Stress Relief
Not only will these stress-relieving activities help lower stress levels, but they also aid in many other areas of your life. That said, let’s take a look at some of the most effective stress-busting activities:
1.Meditation – Meditation being on top of the list is not surprising at all. Although meditation has been considered a means of stress reduction for hundreds of years, it has recently been brought into the light by psychologists. Mediation helps in directing attention away from thoughts that might be causing stress. Mindfulness meditation, in particular, brings one’s focus onto a singular thought, object, or saying. Mindfulness meditation has numerous other benefits, such as promoting the formation of neural pathways, increasing focus and attention, improving mental flexibility and memory, and even immunity. You will notice these differences as well as a reduction in stress in as little as 10 minutes of mindfulness meditation each day. Along with meditation, you can consider taking stress-relief supplements too after consulting a doctor. You can read more about one of the best supplements – a Natures Bounty Anxiety and Stress Relief review may help you find the product that’s right for you.
2. Learn New Words – Learning new words might not seem ideal for reducing stress, but you would be surprised to know its benefits. Learning new words can direct your focus towards something other than the thoughts that cause stress. Who wouldn’t like to improve their vocabulary? Studies have shown that this exercise employs many parts of the brain, which not only lowers stress but also boosts cognitive abilities and improves auditory and visual functioning. A simple way to do it is to note words that you come across. You can either look for words in the newspaper, television shows or use a dictionary each day. Set a fixed number of new terms to learn each day.
3. Learn A New Language – If you want to go all the way, why not learn a new language? You might be surprised to know that learning a new language can help you reduce stress levels. Studies conducted on bilingual people show that they have lower stress levels, better self-esteem, and a more positive outlook on lift. Learning a new language also has numerous cognitive benefits, like improved memory, lower risk of diseases like Alzheimer’s and dementia, improved creativity, better memory, increased visual-spatial skills, and more. In addition, learning a new language reduces mental decline associated with age and promotes the formation of neural pathways. If all these benefits are not impressive enough, imagine how else learning a new language can impact you – it will make you a better employee, expose you to new cultures, and help you bond with people in an entirely new way.
4. Play A Game – Everyone knows that sports and other physical exercises are some of the best ways to reduce stress levels. But did you know that playing games like sudoku, jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, and card games can also help reduce stress faster? These games are mentally stimulating, improving your problem-solving abilities, memory, perception, reasoning, etc. These enjoyable and stress-busting games can help you improve your mental functioning. Perhaps the most impressive part of these brain exercises is that they can also help reduce the mental decline that is often associated with aging.
5. Draw A Map – Another exciting way to bust stress is to draw a map of your neighborhood, town, or city from memory. You might know most places in your locality by heart, but consciously remembering them can be a great mental exercise. Drawing a map from memory will stimulate many areas of the brain and help lower stress levels, improve creativity and enhance coordination.
6. Listen to Music – Listening to music is surely a great way to reduce stress levels and distract yourself from negative thoughts. However, you can utilize this experience to make better use of your senses akin to mindfulness mediation. By noticing and paying attention to the different rhythms in music, you can improve your cognitive abilities like attention skills, memory, creativity, auditory functioning, etc. So, the next time you feel like things are all over the place, listen to your favorite song.
7. Video Games – The impact of playing video games has been studied, it has come up as a major method of reducing stress levels similar to any physical sport. While you kick back to play your favorite video games, you’re also participating in a highly stimulatory mental activity. Video games may increase memory, creativity, visual skills, coordination, critical thinking skills, and more.
After reading this article, we hope you are excited to incorporate these activities into your daily routine. Although they help reduce stress, there are many other reasons to participate in brain training. These exercises are enjoyable and will teach you something new. Note that you can also consider incorporating some of the best anxiety supplements to reduce your daily stress.
Surely, you will notice a difference in your stress levels, attention span, day-to-day functioning as well as problem-solving within a short span after adopting these exercises.
Sophia Anthony is a freelance writer and blogger, covering health and fitness topics through visual representation. She is very passionate about general health and beauty. Apart from work she likes dancing and listening to music. You can also contact her on Facebook, and Instagram.
Follow – https://lifefitnesstricks.com for More Updates